"Pillow-factory" - that's a good description of the first 'engineered'
studio I encountered. I'd started as an announcer in a station housed in a
hotel suite where the studio had no acoustic treatment at all. Across town
at the better-funded public station (!), their studio was state of the art
1970, or maybe a design that was a throw-back, built as a combo
recording/broadcasting room. It was such an unnaturally dead space it was
weird to even be in it. And when you spoke, your words seemed to disappear
right past your lips. A ca. 2000 broadcast studio I worked in was not nearly
so damped and didn't feel unnatural, just controlled.

If I can speculate, I'd think that early on the major concern in
broadcasting was for clarity. Any extraneous sound, internal ambience or
external noise, would work against that, as well as risk the waste of
transmitting power in an AM system. Radio quickly became a much bigger
business than records and also seems to have led the technology for
electrical recording. The record business also used radio studios for some
percentage of its production, so it seems reasonable that the influence
would carry through and persist. Valid? As time went on, bigger radio
studios seemed to allow for more ambience. For instance, before the tower,
Capital used a CBS radio studio to good effect. Stoky prevailed on RCA to
open up 8H.

One other aspect is that a 'dead' studio provides a blank acoustical slate,
on which you can apply whatever effects you have to create whatever sound
you're looking for (Electric Lady?). That might be the idea, anyway, though
it's clear in retrospect that it was the studios that had a sound of their
own that are best remembered and most successful for acoustic music (30th
Street). Page's tales of recording Bonham in a big room just one example.
OTOH, the sound of 70s art-pop is intimate; Joni Mitchell, The Eagles, etc,
etc. Big-ambience ala Tony Bennett sounded old-fashioned.