On 9/19/2014 12:49 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> The RE16 has a pronounced presence peak right where a disk cutter from
> the 1940s is likely to be screamy sounding. I would recommend against
> it. The RE20, on the other hand, has a near-flat response in that
> region. With an RE16, you are capturing as much sound of the mic as
> sound of the disk recorder. WIth an RE20, you are hearing almost all of
> the sound of the disk recorder, because it is nearly flat on-axis in all
> the frequencies likely to be recorded by a 1940s Presto machine.

The published spec for the RE16 has changed in the past few years; the
current mics do show the rise in the presence region that Tom mentions
(+3dB centered around 3kHz). That's a change from their earlier
datasheets -- and I think it reflects more accurately what the mic
sounds like.

http://www.coutant.org/re16/

But it's a good deal less than the +6dB peak in the mic the recording
booth project is using now. If they can pick up a clean RE15 that'd
probably be the best for the application. Or maybe, as somebody said, a
ribbon. Or, of course, an RE20, which has a presence boost of its own
but a fairly benign one.

Peace,
Paul