On 9/20/2014 3:42 AM, Jan Myren wrote:
> The problem is only when recording. I am using a brand new RMG tape. When
> playing this tape it is completely silent. When recording I hear sounds as
> described in the background like "pops" and "crackles". At first I thought
> it was hiss from the record source, but when I listened to the source only
> there was no hiss on the recording. When I play back the tape I hear the
> "hiss" in the background of the music and between the tracks. On un-recorded
> parts on the tape it is nothing but silent.
>
> So as far as I can see this is a problem that occurs only when recording.
>
> Maybe this clears out what the problem may be?

Hiss is normal; that's what tape does. Pops and crackles, however, are
not. It sounds like you have a dying capacitor, not in the playback or
output amplifier, but in the record amplifier. Again, shotgunning the
capacitors is the best solution.

You may need to also demag the record head, if the dying cap has allowed
it to become magnetized. Get hold of a magnetomoeter and find ouot. A
magnetized head won't cause pops & crackles, but it may be magnetized as
a result of the same problem that is causing the pops and crackles.

Peace,
Paul