Hi Dave:

As I understand the history, the original listening device for electronically-generated audio was
"earphones." Going back to crystal radios. I think the original iteration was exactly what was used
for the earpiece on early telephone sets (a carbon device?). Then came what were essentially
earphones at the end of horns, the first "loudspeakers," so radios could be heard by several people
at the same time.  Then came field-coil speakers. Then came dynamic speakers.

I think location recording was monitored with "earphones" throughout the mono electrical-recording
era, although playback from lacquers may have involved speakers (probably not until the 1940s, but I
might be wrong about that).

Headphones kept evolving for professional audio and broadcasting all along, but I think they hit a
note with consumers in the stereo era. Remember the baby boomer kids with big Koss closed-back
'phones in 70's college dorm rooms? For my generation, headphones were part of the Walkman, so they
were a big part of our youth (people forget how liberating super-portable "personal stereo" was,
given that the previous choice was boomboxes, which weren't as tolerated in suburban homes as they
were on inner city streets, plus nothing enhanced that alienated suburban white kid teenage thing
more than putting on the Walkman 'phones, cranking up the punk rock and sneering! ;) ). When the
iPod came along, we got to a new phase of ultra-portability, now heard through earbuds or
bass-enhanced Beats-style phones.

To my ears, the worst music for headphone listening is hard-panned early stereo like Blue Note
stereo mixes or stereo Beatles mixes pre-Abbey Road. Old "binaural" material works fine. I suspect,
aside from collector-fetish cache, one of the reasons many mono mixes of popular and jazz titles are
being reissued in modern times has to do with earbud/Beats listening. The mono sounds superior in
that setting vs the hard-panned stereo.

-- Tom Fine