On 2014-09-08 4:43 PM, Paul Stamler wrote:
> If you can put up with a pattern that's merely hypercardioid instead of
> short-shotgun, you might try the Electro-Voice RE16, and it works well
> sitting on a piece of foam with the capsule floating just above the
> tabletop ("mouse" mounting as Richard noted). I've had a lot of luck
> using it for oral history interviews. Tough as nails, too.

Hi, Paul,

I once had a pair of RE-15 mics (which lacked the superior windscreen of
the RE-16) but sold them to a radio station as I was relying more on
capacitor mics in those days.

Yes, those were good mics, but alas have not been made for years. The
challenge today with dynamic mics is that many/most of the inexpensive
recorders do not have a wonderful equivalent input noise (Ein) spec. The
higher output of the condenser/capacitor mics mask this weakness. I
suspect we're lucky to get -120 dB Ein on a portable recorder today.

Cheers,

Richard