The Karajan story is a long-dismissed urban myth. In fact, if Philips and Sony had opted for 12"
disk size (which would have allowed for LP style graphics and LP style packaging and probably would
have been much better loved by us collectors), they could have had 2+ hours time per CD. They were
operating on two ideas (right or wrong) -- 1) COMPACT DISC was the marketing mandate, meaning
something more akin to a cassette than a "klunky" LP. 2) they had developed very reliable mechanisms
to play 5" discs and reliably read them with vigorous error correction. The marketplace was already
demonstrating that 10" laserdiscs were somewhat fragile and the players were somewhat finicky. There
was also the factor that portability was king in the early 80s. Never underestimate the market
earthquake that was the Sony Walkman! I grew up then. For people my age who were into music, that
thing was the first coming of the iPhone. The only people I knew at college who did not own
Walkman-type portable players were people who didn't listen to music except as background noise at
parties.

Red Book standard of 74 minutes allowed for "close-off" guide bands on the inside and outside of
early CDs, which are clearly visible in many cases. These proved unnecessary as manufacturing
improved, particularly glass mastering and plating. There was also data space allowed for robust
CDText, which was never used (and hence today we have the disorganized hodgepodge of auto-load tags,
most of which need manual correcting if one wants a consistent naming structure in his digital
library). The reason 80-minute CDs became the norm is that manufacturing improved to be able to fit
them. Philips got its glass mastering and plating so good that it was known to make playable
82-minute CDs for classical and opera. I don't know if Sony did this. Another example of a Philips
CD longer than 80 minutes is one of the Bernstein/VPO Beethoven cycle discs on DGG, I forgot which
one.

Love 'em or hate 'em, CDs were a big deal, technologically, when they came out. CDRs and the quick
evolution of home-copying was also a big deal.

-- Tom Fine