Apologies for cross-posting.

Not sure it exists frankly but I'm l ooking for published studies regarding the flammability and/or toxicity of burned audiovisual materials. I realize there are myriad sources for info on PVC, shellac, etc. in the form data sheets; those are different, as are studies dealing with exposure to heat (accelerated aging or otherwise). I'm looking specifically for flammability/toxicity studies of PVC, shellac, etc. when functioning as recorded sound carriers and when exposed to flame.

Again, I'm not sure anything like this actually exists (which, in a way, is fine). As I see it, the structural components themselves - not the AV context - determine flammability/toxicity. This is a fire-marshall-related due diligence question as much as anything else.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon Burke
Archivist for Recorded Sound Collections
Hoover Institution Library and Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
vox: 650.724.9711