On 9/3/2014 09:31, Tom Fine wrote:
> Following up on this ...
>
> One kind ARSC member sent me the RCA issues from the massive Ellington
> set. Another sent me a dub of the LP version of the accidental stereo,
> created by Brad Kay and Steve Lasker. The RCA one has the two channels
> out of phase, like I said below! The Kay/Lasker version is much more
> realistic 2-mic "stereo," although the mics are very close together but
> seem to be aimed at different mid-points. Kay and Lasker also did a much
> better job time-aligning the two disks and did much better cleanup, or
> used a better source in the left channel (no high-pitched tone
> throughout on theirs).
>
> It's too bad that the RCA "official" version is what's all over the web.
> Because it's out of phase, it's phoney accidental stereo!

The phase situation interesting, because the RCA transfers were done by
Seth Winner. He was a member of 78-L at that time, and mentioned on that
list that he used metal parts for both "channels" of the Feb 3, 1932
session, and one metal part and one commercial pressing for the Feb 9,
1932 session because BMG couldn't locate the second set of metal parts.
(They did find them, but his transfer - involving playing both discs at
once on tandem turntables and manually adjusting one of them "live" to
maintain sync - was finished and he did not go back and re-do it.)

(CC:'ed to Tom Fine directly because I'm not certain my earlier emails
to the list concerning the matrix information on the Ellington discs
made it through.)

Michael Shoshani
Chicago