-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] På vegne av Paul Stamler
Sendt: 20. september 2014 07:06
Til: [log in to unmask]
Emne: Re: [ARSCLIST] Need for head demagnietizer?

On 9/19/2014 7:40 PM, Paul Stamler wrote:
> In either case, the problem is probably not magnetizaed heads (but see
> below). It's probably an electrolytic capacitor in the circuit
> (playback or output amp) that is dying and becoming leaky. Probably
> the simplest and most economical way to solve the problem is to
> replace all the electrolytic capacitors with units of the same value and
voltage rating.
> Buy caps rated a 105 degrees C., not 85 degrees -- they'll last longer.
> This is known as "shotgunning", and it's cheaper than having someone
> painstakingly check out the machine for leaky caps; just fix 'em all
> and you're good for another ten years or more.

I forgot to add than, when replacing a cap with one of the same value and
the same (or higher) voltage rating, you need to pay attention to the
polarity of the old cap, and install the new one with the same polarity.
(The cap will have one of its terminals marked with a "+" or a
"-".)

Peace,
Paul