Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Records Ruin the Landscape
From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, September 21, 2014 7:56 am
To: [log in to unmask]

Let's be clear, this is the "artiste" discussed in the essay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6VjHYjXEM

If 15 minutes of the same 3 chords with often out of tune humming along
is your thing, then have at
it. Many people play acoustic guitar into a portable home recorder. Very
few of those recordings are
worth hearing. Almost none of them are worth canonized as "undiscovered
gold."

I understand the frustration with modern commercialized popular music,
but the modern impulse (often
by younger writers with little historical perspective, writers "born
digital" and raised on digital
pop music glop) to "discover" performers from what is glorified as a
"wonderful past," many of whom
don't really deserve to be canonized, is annoying. It seems to be an
academic, navel-gazing pursuit.
And, it smacks of ignorance, of not listening to enough
commercially-released music from the same
time periods. That sort of listening will often reveal that there were
many excellent examples in
the selected genre, musicians who could actually play and thus make
commercially viable recordings.

-- Tom Fine