Oh, you coastal chauvinists!

Eugene Ormandy conducted the Minneapolis Symphony in the 1930s, and recorded the Mahler 2nd with it; I’d bet he performed some more. Mitropoulos, a Mahler champion, conducted them until 1949 and recorded the First. Again, I suspect he conducted more but I don’t know of program listings.

We Minnesotans don’t “demand” things, so yes, the Minnesota audiences weren’t demanding Mahler.

-Lofty