Ah yes I remember that too

I would have been tested around 1965 or so – this would have been in
Scotland. I can remember a pair of Bakelite headphones that did not fit
too well or seemed to be very big. I think they tested different
frequencies and wither the sound came to the left and right ears - I also
remember being a bit confused as I found/find it difficult to remember
which is my left from right - upshot was I was graded as 'defective' in
some way! I think an LP was used but being only 6/7 at the time my memory
of the event is somewhat faded. One kid I remember did not do so well and
later came to school with hearing aids that were almost as big as his
ears.

Jolyon