Dear Kyle,

Hey Kyle,

Indeed they did. Have a look at the promotion for RKO’s first feature, Syncopation, which featured Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians—then on RCA-owned Victor. If Radio Pictures was the most assiduous, all the major studios participated in the mad scramble for sonic talent in the late twenties. Even before the advent of sound, Victor pursued such tie-ins, as in Keaton’s Navigator where Wilfred Glenn’s Asleep in the Deep haunts Buster (~29 minutes in). Have a look at the end of Warners’ Baby Face, as the forerunner of Penny Serenade. The great French films sonore have similar ties to Pathe and Tobis.

J.D. Connor
Yale University