On 04/09/2014, Tom Fine wrote:
> I think, in the early stereo days, only Emory Cook consistently
> recorded true "binaural" tapes, in other words those designed to be
> listened to through headphones only.

Are you sure of that.  My experience is exactly the opposite.  Cook
produced exactly one CD.  It was a demonstration of a re-processing
technique, and you had to sign an agreement not to copy it in order to
get it.  the first track is a female blues singer.  For about 30 seconds
the small combo is heard on the right track in mono with nothing on the
left channel until she starts to sing.  It is like those Elvis and
Beatles tapes meant for mix-down, but this is what Cook chose to start
his demo CD.

Because his dual groove system used a radial playback arm, he knew there
would be phase shift problems. Plus the two bands were cut with
different EQ curves. Thus it was vital that there be as little "center"
channel as possible, that there be nothing that was strongly heard in
both channels.  I've got about 20 discs but no arm for them.  When he
did come out with single-groove stereo LPs the separation was extreme.
Remember, this is the guy who did the atmospherics albums with two radio
receivers hundreds of miles apart.  When he recorded the folk groups he
stuck two mikes down in front of two different parts of the group.  I
don't think he separated them into two rooms like RCA did that time when
they split a group into two studios a city block apart, but listening to
these with headphones leaves a hole in the middle where your head used
to be.  Maybe some of his classical recordings used mikes close
together, but that was a minority of his catalog.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]