Alan Lomax was not collecting sounds, he was collecting SONGS.  Going
back to Lomax Sr -- John Lomax -- the recordings were of no consequence,
just like Peter Bartok's father Bela, and their friend Zolton Koday.
They were just a notebook, a way to take down the music while they were
writing out the words.  Sometimes when the song had multiple verses they
would only record the first one or two and continue with the notebook.
John Lomax was writing BOOKS, not releasing records. Bartok and Koday
were writing their own compositions and were using abstracts of the
melodies, not releasing records.  What do you want to hear our cylinders
for -- come to our concerts where you'll hear the finish product.  What
do you what to listen to our discs for?  Read our books and sing the
songs yourself.

Alan came to quickly realize that the performer was also important, and
thus the sound on the recording was also important.  But if there was a
train in the background it made no difference unless it covered up the
words.  Only then would we ask for that verse to be repeated.  The
Lomax's were using the government to fund their song scouting
expeditions -- it was a mutual affair that the government would also get
the benefit of having the recordings whereas the Lomaxes had material
for their books.  Eventually LC issued some of the recordings, and later
on -- after John's death -- Alan would use Goddard Lieberson's Columbia
Record's money to finance his trips, and then turn to Atlantic when
beginning his stereo work in the late 50s.  By this time the recordings
became primary because they had more of a market than books, but Alan
realized that stereo recordings gave a more researchable result -- that
they sounded pretty was still quite secondary.

Moe Asch was a recording engineer.  Period.  His records were his
documents, not any damn book.  Can you hear it?  Fine.  Can you
understand the words?  Fine.  Does the hum bother you.  A little?
You'll get used to it.  Do you need a pretty picture on the cover?  Why?
 It don't make the music any prettier.  Is the song any different in
stereo?  Is it worth another couple of bucks to you on top of the
already expensive album price?  No?  Fine, I don't like stereo anyway.
I'm busy making interesting records, not pretty records.  You want that,
go over to Jac Holtzman.

NOW do you get the difference?

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]