Tom --

I couldn't agree more that we should all be out there sharing as many good
practices as possible. I also agree that many of the existing resources are
buried or unknown to different groups. I'm all for the idea of seeing ARSC
join in the fun of training and getting resources out to the general and
special interest publics. I really just wanted to include a little
historical context to the conversation.

One issue I'd like to see addressed at a higher level, however, is the fact
that many organizations doing similar things (IASA, ARSC, AMIA, OHA, AFS,
AES, SAA Recorded Sound, FIAT/IFAT, ICA SUV, etc.) are notoriously
uncoordinated in their efforts around similar topics. There is much overlap
among the memberships of these organizations, and therefore room for
partnerships and coordinated efforts. At the end of the day, among these
organizations there is a relatively small community interested in audio and
audiovisual management and preservation. If we continue to speak in the
splintered fashion we do now, we will continue to have diminished voices in
the wilderness of society. If we work together more often and speak as one,
then of course we'll have a louder voice—a stronger signal against the
noise. Training is a very opportune topic that could be coordinated among
many organizations as a common activity. Perhaps the leadership of these
many organizations could use general topics such as training on how to
create and manage sound recordings as an entry point towards building
stronger collaboration in the future.

Best --

Bert

Bertram Lyons, CA
AVPreserve | www.avpreserve.com
American Folklife Center | www.loc.gov/folklife
International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives |
www.iasa-web.org