On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:12:07 -0400, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The old EMI guy who took such a vehement stance at the ARSC Conference has
been proven wrong. I
>think he just had wrong information from stodgy, hidebound EMI executives
(of which he was perhaps
>one), or he was outright lying. I'm not sure what his motivation would be.
Why would EMI care so
>much about the entire topic to outright lie? Why would it
be "controversial" in the first place?
>That's why I think it's more a case of old, hidebound executives being
defensive and relying on
>sloppy or incomplete record-keeping.

It's interesting to note that when EMI was preparing their "Elgar Edition"
CD series in 1992/3, someone there (probably Andrew Walter) put together an
accidental stereo version of Elgar conducting the Prelude to "The Kingdom",
which was recorded at the same session as the "Cockaigne" Overture, whose
final side had already been circulated as accidental stereo.  EMI initially
announced that this was going to be released; but after objections raised
by Keith Hardwick (the "old EMI guy" on the YouTube video), they withdrew
the idea.  So, it's not a case of EMI not being open to the concept of
accidental stereo at all.

Mark Obert-Thorn