Sorry Clark. As far as I know and there is a lot of literature on the subject, the sampling frequency and bit depth were chosen because that was what could be recorded on PAL  standard video fields. If you do the math. You see how it adds up nicely. Shai

If a stupid word substitution made you laugh, thank my iPhone