Kirk-Evan,

I thought it would be interesting to see what RDA does with medium of
performance, and it appears to have single field, P20215, that would
correspond to the 382. It also does not seem to have anything
corresponding to the 048. (I don't know of an "official" mapping from
MARC to RDA. Anyone?) A slightly reduced turtle form is:

<http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/e/P20215>
     reg:name "mediumOfPerformanceOfMusicalContent"@en ;
     a rdf:Property ;
     rdfs:domain <http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/c/C10006> ;
     rdfs:isDefinedBy <http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/e/> ;
     rdfs:label "has medium of performance of musical content"@en ;
     skos:definition "Relates an expression to the instrument,
instruments, voice, voices, etc., used (or intended to be used) for
performance of musical content."@en .

The RDA vocabulary is not at the same level of detail as MARC, nor is it
at the same level of detail of the RDA rules. (Which I do not have
access to, so perhaps someone else can check that that is verifiably
true.) In fact, I would say that RDA is specified at about the ISBD
level. BIBFRAME is an even more "macro" view. RDA has about 1400
elements, BIBFRAME has 104. Either can, however, be expanded.

There is work going on in RDA to define more specific elements for the
"extent" area (e.g. making "23 cm" a separate numeric + unitOfMeasure).
Clearly, the same would need to be done for musical instruments (and
perhaps many dozens of other data elements.

There are various ways this could happen. One is that RDA and BIBFRAME
could swell up to many many thousands of different classes and
properties. Another is that a version (profile) of either or both could
be developed for music materials. This would allow general libraries
that are content to have a display form of the medium of performance
could use the RDA or BIBFRAME property, while music libraries,
especially those serving schools of music, could use the "full music
extension" of either vocabulary. That way, we don't force that level of
detail on libraries and users that have no use for it.

I always see music as a special case, with its structured uniform titles
and massive aggregation problem. I think that a profile for music
libraries would be a very interesting development. (I'd be happy to put
in what I can on that.)

kc
p.s. There are LOTS of other special cases: maps, photographs, archival
materials.... all could use this kind of treatment.

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net