The mapping of the 382 to a note field is indeed unfortunate, since it
basically removes all the benefits of the field in the first place--the
ability to control terms (through the LC Medium of Performance thesaurus
for music (LCMPT) or other set of terms), and the ability to search for
a very specific instrumentation--and passes over a rich source of
curated linked data, by reducing and combining the terms into a string.

The string, as currently converted, also leaves out all the subfields of
the 382 beyond $a, and thus omits details about the number of performers
on each instrument ($n), whether an instrument is acting as a soloist
($b), or an instrument is played by the same performer as another
(called "doubling" in music) ($d), any note (such as chorus voicings)
($v) or the total number of performers ($s). The resulting converted
string may actually mislead a  person searching for a particular
grouping of instruments since it may be incomplete or simply incorrect.
As an example, this is what a 382 for Villa-Lobos' Bachianas brasileiras
(a work for originally for soprano and 8 cellos) would look like:

382 01 $b soprano voice $n 1 $a cello $n 8 $s 9 $2 lcmpt
The conversion would come out like this:
<bf:musicMediumNote>soprano voice cello</bf:musicMediumNote>
This becomes in fact a completely different medium of performance--a
duet for soprano and cello--and even that is a little confusing to read,
given the lack of a comma between the two media.

As Kirk-Evan says, this aspect is crucial for those who search for
musical resources and the conversion of the 382 as it stands does not
serve them well. The 382 is fast becoming the primary field for
recording medium of performance in RDA records and will also eventually
replace medium of performance headings in LCSH. It does need to be
converted in a more meaningful way and there will need to a way
developed in Bibframe profiles (at least) to input its equivalent there.

Nancy Lorimer
Music SACO Coordinator

--
Nancy Lorimer