From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Literal Properties vs Notes

Frequency is a good example of the mess that we have today in AACR-type cataloging. There is a way to code frequency as a calculable value in the MARC holdings record. That should suffice and there should be no need for a note field if the value is provided. But notes are "notes" because they are uncontrolled strings created by the cataloger. Where other data in the record are either transcribed strings or controlled headings, notes are neither. But the notes ARE required by the cataloging rules.

This is evidence, to me, of the gap between the cataloging rules and the actual practice of creating machine-readable catalog records. AACR does not recognize that coded data (e.g. MARC fixed fields) exists.
Many notes repeat information that could be encoded elsewhere, but because the note is what is required by the cataloging rules and also displays in the catalog, the tendency has been to provide the note but often not to provide the actionable data element. Obviously, it would be a mistake to carry forward this practice, and instead the actionable data element must be the primary source of data, from which user-friendly notes can be derived if needed. That "if needed" part is also something we should think about, because in fact in many system displays notes are not included, so catalog users rarely see them.
Because notes have been favored over actionable data, there is a whole host of information that is 1) not usable for any automated functions and 2) rarely seen by users. Surely this is a waste of cataloger time, and a disservice to our users.

kc