From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 11:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Medium of performance (Music) question

Kirk-Evan,

I thought it would be interesting to see what RDA does with medium of performance, and it appears to have single field, P20215, that would correspond to the 382. It also does not seem to have anything corresponding to the 048. (I don't know of an "official" mapping from MARC to RDA. Anyone?) A slightly reduced turtle form is:

<http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/e/P20215>
     reg:name "mediumOfPerformanceOfMusicalContent"@en ;
     a rdf:Property ;
     rdfs:domain <http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/c/C10006> ;
     rdfs:isDefinedBy <http://rdaregistry.info/Elements/e/> ;
     rdfs:label "has medium of performance of musical content"@en ;
     skos:definition "Relates an expression to the instrument, instruments, voice, voices, etc., used (or intended to be used) for performance of musical content."@en .

The RDA vocabulary is not at the same level of detail as MARC, nor is it at the same level of detail of the RDA rules. (Which I do not have access to, so perhaps someone else can check that that is verifiably
true.) In fact, I would say that RDA is specified at about the ISBD level. BIBFRAME is an even more "macro" view. RDA has about 1400 elements, BIBFRAME has 104. Either can, however, be expanded.

There is work going on in RDA to define more specific elements for the "extent" area (e.g. making "23 cm" a separate numeric + unitOfMeasure).
Clearly, the same would need to be done for musical instruments (and perhaps many dozens of other data elements.

There are various ways this could happen. One is that RDA and BIBFRAME could swell up to many many thousands of different classes and properties. Another is that a version (profile) of either or both could be developed for music materials. This would allow general libraries that are content to have a display form of the medium of performance could use the RDA or BIBFRAME property, while music libraries, especially those serving schools of music, could use the "full music extension" of either vocabulary. That way, we don't force that level of detail on libraries and users that have no use for it.

I always see music as a special case, with its structured uniform titles and massive aggregation problem. I think that a profile for music libraries would be a very interesting development. (I'd be happy to put in what I can on that.)

kc
p.s. There are LOTS of other special cases: maps, photographs, archival
materials.... all could use this kind of treatment.

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net