I'm not too familiar with the full range of possibilities here, so this may be a very naive question:

Would it be better to have a type attribute on a hypothetical bf:Note class, or would it be better to build out a hierarchy of subtypes to that class? The type attribute has the advantage of tremendous flexibility at low cost. The class hierarchy has a little more "readability" and makes many kinds of automated facilities operate more efficiently (e.g. inferencing, some kinds of querying…).

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library