Tim, Adam,

I would personally prefer subclasses as then additional note types beyond the main specification are using the constructs of the language, rather than relying on string uniqueness in a (doubtless not URI) noteType.

Yes, there's a choice between subclasses of bf:Note, and sub-properties of bf:hasNote ... and I'm not religious as to which ... but it can't be both.  In this regard see the identifier decision regarding sub-properties and scheme.  My preference for sub-classes is the same as Adam's -- easier machine inferencing and human understanding.

Rob