Rebecca’s and Stephen’s comments get to the heart of it.  The MARC 1XX tag does not really say the role, it is just the support of a “certain kind of citation” and a differentiator of titles that are alike.  We used to call that main entry but cannot say that any more.  AAP takes it place and is an interesting transformation.   As Adam points out “most” of the 1XX are authors  and since not everything is perfect he suggested going with calling it creator.  As for the MARC 7XX, I have no idea how many are actually creators unless there is a role attached – and sometimes there is – so I agree with calling them agents unless there is a role.

Since I have wished cataloging specified roles ever since I started using libraries, i.e., as a user, I will not say how many times I have asked why we did not do it. Going forward I hope that catalogers will be supplying roles on agents they associate with their descriptions.  After all, they know the role or they would not be taking the time to associate the agent.

Sally

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] 7XX fields without relator terms

And then there's the problem of asking the 1XX to be both the entry term for a certain kind of citation and the expression of the relationship between an agent and the work. If the author/title text string used to specify the the work contained in a manifestation was separated from the 245 construction and recorded independently somewhere else (carrying with it the hapless 240 field), then all the names could be expressed with their role relationships in 7XX fields and the citation form could also be preserved, since it does have uses.

Stephen