In the Dublin Core Terms ontology (http://dublincore.org/2012/06/14/dcterms.rdf), "creator" is actually a subproperty of "contributor," which strikes me as a point in favor of making contributor the default rather than "agent," which does seem rather too generic to be meaningful.

Tim

--
Tim A. Thompson
Metadata Librarian (Spanish/Portuguese Specialty)

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM, J. McRee Elrod <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 10/23/14 7:40 AM, McCallum, Sally wrote:

> As for the MARC 7XX, I have no idea how many are actually creators
> unless there is a role attached – and sometimes there is – so I agree
> with calling them agents unless there is a role.

I would be more upset by "author" or "creator" attached to a now 100
criminal defendant, than "contributor" attached to a now 700 joint
author.

It would take some fixed field checking in the crosswalk to prefent
the wrong relator on some now 100s.

What does "agent" tell anyone?

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask])
  {__  |   /     Special Libraries Cataloguing   HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/