There is some punning involved with Persons in the bibliographic universe that requires careful thought about the different individuals of different types involved.

Matters are not helped by the fact that a lot of the time the different things may have the same marc authority record.

1. There are actual people (eg. human beings*). These are capable of doing things, like creating works, being Dons, or arguing on mailing lists.

An example is [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] , the man. The name** of this entity is "Charles Lewis Dodgson".  The name of a person can change over time.

2. There are literary identities. These are abstract things that bear names, and to which responsibility for a work may be assigned. An identity may be associated with one or more people.

The name of a literary identity may usually be the same as the name of the person for whom it is an identity.
The name of a literary identity need not change when the name of the person changes.

Examples are : [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson]' and [Lewis Carroll], which bear the names "Charles Lutwidge Dodgson" and "Lewis Carroll" respectively. Both identities were used by the man [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson]

These are the kind of things that are referred to in 100 fields.

3. There are entities which other things can be about. Let us call these subjects. Some of these things can be about entities which are people; others can be about entities which are Literary Identities.

Subjects are intentional (with a t). They are ideas about things. The possible relationships between subjects are not the same as those between the things they are about.

For example, topically subdivided headings can be about completely different kinds of things to the undivided heading - a person's homes and haunts are not themselves people, yet an implicit BT relationship exists.

A biography of [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] (the man) would be about the subject [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson]''.

A bibliography of the Works of [Lewis Carroll],  the literary identity, would be about the subject [Lewis Carroll]'. It might also be considered to be about the subject [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson]''.

The names of these subjects would be "Charles Lutwidge Dodgson" and "Lewis Carroll".

4. There are names, which are strings or things from which strings can be generated. There can be several names associated with the types of things identified above - names in direct order, inverted order, with dates, etc.

5. There are authorized names, which are names which some agency has specified as being permitted for use in some dataset. An agency can only specify one such name for each entity.

6.There are name authority records, which are collections of statements uttered by some agency relating a preferred name to other names (along with other statements).

Simon

* homocentric assumption made w.I.o.g for sake of simplicity.
** names given in uncontrolled, direct order for sake of simplicity

Simon