That's not at all clear to me.

For one thing (perhaps the most pungent example) the other resource may not have a bibliographic record or a representation for the specific purposes of bibliography, at all.

Or it may have some representation that is useful for bibliographic discovery, but not one that is derived from a bibliographic record, in which case we might need to select a type of identifier for the target of the link that is not unique to the world of library cataloging.

Or it may have a representation derived from a bibliographic record, but not one held at the institution that presented the original record, in which case the target identifier to which we are linking must be in some form that is entirely common to all institutions doing bibliographic work (and the obvious choice is an URI).

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library