The only way I see to harmonize LC's desire for generic expression records
and some PCC members' desire for more specific authorities for expressions
is as a hierarchy.  The former represent in principle a class of
expressions--all those for a given language--even when only one translation
exists; and the latter represent particular translations in that language
by extending the generic heading with additional specifying components.
Both forms of access should be considered as authorized access points.

What seems to me unsustainable about LC-PCC PS 6.27.3 is the LC Practice
instruction: "If there is a name authority record with an authorized access
point for an expression that includes an additional characteristic LC would
not have added, use the form of the access point in that authority record;
this action is consistent with the LC/PCC policy of using authorized access
points in existing name authority records." This will inevitably lead to
split entries, generic for some translations and specific for others in the
same language, and confusion for catalog users. "Using the authorized
access points" in such cases would split entries for the "same" kind of
resources, which is contrary to the fundamental purpose of authority
control.

A more manageable approach would be to accept that either kind of authority
is acceptable depending on the local cataloging agency's policy, but not
both (except in rare cases when a second resource's description needs to
specify a particular translation).  Since the more specific translation
headings are built by adding on to the generic heading, automated routines
could change the specific heading to its generic counterpart on incoming
copy to ensure consistency of access.  As for libraries preferring more
specific access points for translations, they have their work cut out for
them; but that was always going to be the case.

As for the dates--a generic authority for a set of expressions could
indicate the date of the first instance of the class of translations it
represents.  An authority for a specific translation could indicate a later
date for its creation. What's lacking is clear consensus and policy about
what the date means--which concept of expression it relates to--because of
the ambiguity about whether generic and specific authorities can co-exist.
The implication in the LC Practice statement that a specific AAP must trump
a generic AAP throws the more viable co-existence option into uncertainty.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota