I've come across several authority records exclusively sourced and edited
by DLC (per the 040 field) for English translations that include 046 dates
that specify the date of expression.  The heading itself is generic
following LC-PCC PS 6.27.3--Name. Title. English--but the record is made
specific with that added date.  Many, but not all, of the records were last
edited in February-March 2013, which point to the Phase 2 RDA Authorities
project.  However, none of the 1xx/4xx headings use the $f, which I presume
would be the source for the automated population of the 046 field.  Several
046s also don't match the source dates in the 670s; manual intervention is
implied there.

Random examples by LCCN:
n  90636367
no 97019257
n  80148532
n 2012079161
n 2013001274
n 2013037659
n 2013062190

So a question of practice for those of us who aren't LC: Should these
records be treated as generic expression?  Or specific expression?  I
presume the 046s aren't meant to act as the start date(!) for a collection
of English expressions covered by a single record.  I have one translation
record in front of me I'd like to edit, but don't know how to go about
enhancing it, if at all (n  85022980, last touched in September 2013).

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota

the swift course of time." -- Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen
of Verona," Act I, scene iii