Mark,

As long as there is just a single expression in English, then I think
including 046 $k is perfectly ok, as the access point isn't "generic",
it represents the sole English expression, and since there's no conflict,
the date is not needed in the access point itself.

I haven't checked all of these NARs to see if they represent just a single
expression in English, or if there are different English expressions of
the works available.

Adam Schiff
**************************************
* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *
* Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
* (206) 543-8409                     *
* (206) 685-8782 fax                 *
**************************************

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Mark K. Ehlert wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 10:59:04 -0500
> From: Mark K. Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Date of expression in DLC authority records?
>
> I've come across several authority records exclusively sourced and edited
> by DLC (per the 040 field) for English translations that include 046 dates
> that specify the date of expression.  The heading itself is generic
> following LC-PCC PS 6.27.3--Name. Title. English--but the record is made
> specific with that added date.  Many, but not all, of the records were last
> edited in February-March 2013, which point to the Phase 2 RDA Authorities
> project.  However, none of the 1xx/4xx headings use the $f, which I presume
> would be the source for the automated population of the 046 field.  Several
> 046s also don't match the source dates in the 670s; manual intervention is
> implied there.
>
> Random examples by LCCN:
> n  90636367
> no 97019257
> n  80148532
> n 2012079161
> n 2013001274
> n 2013037659
> n 2013062190
>
> So a question of practice for those of us who aren't LC: Should these
> records be treated as generic expression?  Or specific expression?  I
> presume the 046s aren't meant to act as the start date(!) for a collection
> of English expressions covered by a single record.  I have one translation
> record in front of me I'd like to edit, but don't know how to go about
> enhancing it, if at all (n  85022980, last touched in September 2013).
>
> --
> Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
> Coordinator                    University of Minnesota
> Digitization, Cataloging &     15 Andersen Library
>  Metadata Education (DCME)    222 21st Avenue South
> Phone: 612-624-0805            Minneapolis, MN 55455-0439
> <http://www.minitex.umn.edu/>
>
>  "Experience is by industry achieved // And perfected by
> the swift course of time." -- Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen
> of Verona," Act I, scene iii

http://faculty.washington.edu/~aschiff