Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The MARC format (and OCLC Bib. Formats document) includes this example in
> field 344:
>
> 344 ## $a digital $b optical $g surround $h Dolby Digital 5.1 $2 rda

Adam''s example comes from here (look under the $b item):
<http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd344.html>

> I think this has come up in discussion before, but can $2 rda be used in
> the 3XX fields if a term recorded does not come from a list in RDA? That
> is, since Dolby Digital 5.1 is not on the list in 3.16.9.3, is it correct
> to include $2 in the 344?  If not correct, should one 344 be used with no
> $2, or should two 344s be used as follows:
>
> 344 ## $a digital $b optical $g surround $2 rda
> 344 ## $h Dolby Digital 5.1

This follows my approach. The $2 is defined as the source for a list of
controlled terms, to which I also include controlled units of measurement
(ips, cm, MB).  Plenty of both in RDA.  Just recording something from the
piece in hand, which this example might demonstrate, runs against the $2.

(Someone with more audio cataloging experience might address this
option--and correct me if I'm wrong: use "Dolby" alone in the 344 $h with
the $2 rda, and consider "Dolby Digital 5.1" the 3.16.9.4 "Details on..."
comment posted elsewhere in the MARC record.)

While on this topic, also look at the example under 347 $e.  Though "region
4" is certainly based on RDA's instructions--that's what the 040 $e rda is
for--the term itself doesn't come from any controlled list under RDA
3.19.6.  Nor is it based on any controlled labeling structure, like "#
region."  I'd rewrite that example as:

347 ## $a video file $b DVD video $2 rda
347 ## $e region 4

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota

the swift course of time." -- Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen
of Verona," Act I, scene iii