That’s an interesting question.  I think that depends on how the ILS is set up.  For your specific question about a person who has separate added entries as author, illustrator, etc., there is fortunately the solution of putting all the relators onto a single added entry.  But it is still a potential issue when a name appears in an added entry and an author-title entry, or multiple author-title entries.

A keyword search would find a name whether it is in a name added entry, an author-title added entry, a title, a subject, a contents note, a summary note, or any other place that is keyword indexed.  Frequently, keywords will appear multiple times in a record; that problem is not limited to names.  Fortunately, in our Millennium system, a keyword search will list a title only once regardless of how many times it finds the keywords in the record.  I suspect most systems are set up to do the same.

Author searches are a potential problem.  It is possible that multiple appearances of a name in 700 fields will result in multiple appearances in an author search browse list.  That appears to be true on our system, for instance.  However, that problem is not limited to this situation.  For example, we have a book Two Basque Stories, by Bernardo Atxaga.  The bib record lists Atxaga, Bernardo as the main entry, and also has analytic 700 fields with author-title entries for the two Atxaga stories included in the book.  An author search in our OPAC for Bernardo Atxaga lists this book three times.

I think (but I’m not certain) that it might be possible to configure Millennium to not include authors from author-title entries in the author index.  Unfortunately, that would mean that an author search would not find analytic entries.  It would miss, for instance, a book containing stories by multiple authors, even if the record contained analytics.  The proper solution would be for the ILS to dedup the results list from a search.  There are many situations in which a name (or other indexed term, for that matter) might be listed in a record multiple times.  Perhaps there is some setting in Millennium that would fix this; I don’t know the all the configuration settings.  If there isn’t a way to dedup the results, I would consider this a bug.

So having both an author added entry and an author-title entry in a record might result in duplicate listings in public displays for author searches.  This is a problem that should be solved in the ILS.  I don’t think it is a good reason to avoid adding a name entry; name and author-title entries serve different purposes.  But it is good to be aware of the potential effects on public display.

                                                                                Steve McDonald