From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: undifferentiated name headings

I agree with Kevin Randall. Creating a new authority in this case may be less necessary, since the existing "undifferentiated" authority has always in fact represented only one person; but doing so also saves us from having to add special-case rules for rare exceptions.  The only downside to following the standard practice for dealing with undifferentiated name authorities is the need to relink bib records to a new authority, but the number of relevant bib records in OCLC is fairly small--18 by my count, of which 3 or 4 look to be for a different Larissa Forster.  Hope the new authority can help resolve the how-many-Larissa-Forsters question.

Stephen