I agree with Charles conclusion, though perhaps my reasoning is a little different.

The way I see it: the purpose adding information fields to name authorities is to facilitate identification of the individual being described by the authority. We use LCSH for this because it's readily available and because in general a term harvested from a controlled vocabulary is better suited to retrieval than an uncontrolled string.

But that does not necessarily mean we are doing subject cataloging of individuals. The purpose of these fields is NOT to retrieve a set of records that match a subject query. (I'm not saying it can't be done, or will never be done, only that it's not the main reason we are doing this.) Therefore, it is not strictly speaking "subject usage". So when presented with a choice between to controlled terms, we should pick the one that  is most "identificatory" of the individual whose name is being placed under authority control.

To put it a little differently: Danzig and Gdansk being physically the same place, it makes sense when cataloging works about this place to put them under one heading. Someone looking for books about the history of the city would presumably want to see all historical works regardless of whether they concentrate on the period when it belonged to Germany or Poland.

But if we were just trying to identify the person--to answer the question, "Which Gerhard Rose are we looking at?"--we would want to choose the form that is most likely to be associated with the name in reference works, etc. It strikes me as more likely than not that a reference work (or a source of information, if for example the birthplace of the author was listed on a title page) would use the form of the name as it was when the person was born.

As in, " Gerhard August Heinrich Rose (November 30, 1896 in Danzig – January 13, 1992 ... was born in Danzig (then part of Germany, now Gdańsk Poland)" (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Rose).

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions and Discovery Enhancement

MIT Libraries