From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Laurel Nadell
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 17:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Novice question regrading Name Authority

I come across this issue, rather frequently, and it may be just because I am not fully schooled on RDA but let me explain my dilemma...
I need an authorized heading for Martin Jacques.  A short web search finds Martin Jacques birth year which I hope to correspond to one of the names in the list.  However there is no Martin Jacques with the birth year 1945.  Second step is to click on each of the Martin Jacques, around the right birth year or with a middle name, hoping to stumble upon something that I can relate to.  Eventually, I stumble upon Jacques, Martin with no birth year and no middle initial.  Many of the names I have had to look up in the NAF do not have a birth year, or middle initial.  I just don't feel satisfied by a heading like that, last name, first name only.  So my question is, I am supposed to be adding something locally?  These people are the subject of the work, rather than the creator of the work.
I hope someone can help me to understand why in NAF it is only Jacques, Martin and in VAIF it is Jacques, Martin, 1945 (and the one I think is more helpful for users).
Thank you,
Amy Nadell

--
Amy Laurel Nadell