The presence of a recorded date of expression means the record is no longer a “generic” record covering all English language expressions of a given work. The record applies only to the expression that was created in that year (or first published in that year). Different expressions are created in different years, so by recording a specific year you are pinning the record down to a specific expression.

Bizarrely, there is no evidence for the 046 date 1927 in n  85022980, but it does appear from an OCLC search that an English language expression of Rølvaag’s I de dage was indeed published in 1927, so this record would correspond to that particular expression, not another (perhaps there is only one English language expression of this work, but if there are more than one, n  85022980 can only apply to the expression first created in 1927).

Randomly looking at a few of the other examples you give, most of them don’t seem to have any evidence for the 046 field data either.

In my opinion if any expression-related attribute aside from language (377) is recorded in an authority record, that takes the record out of the realm of “generic” language expression and it becomes a record for a specific expression, the one that corresponds to whatever attributes have been recorded (in these cases, date of first creation of the expression). So my response to Mark’s question would be “No, these records should not be treated as describing a generic expression, they describe a specific expression.” But I have no idea what the LC catalogers were thinking when they enhanced these records with 046 fields.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568