From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dickerson, Eugene H
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Personal name question

Hi, all.

I working on cataloging the digitized version of a book by author T.M.C. Asser.  The existing NACO record, still coded AACR2, has the name established as:

Asser, T. M. C. ǂq (Tobias Michael Carel), ǂd 1838-1913

The usage seems to be consistent as T.M.C. Asser.

There’s no justification in the NACO authority record for the fuller form of the name.

I looked in Wikipedia and found this information on his name:

Tobias Michel Karel Asser (28 April 1838 – 29 July 1913) was a Dutch<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands> lawyer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyer> and legal scholar<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_scholar> of Jewish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_the_Netherlands> background, cowinner (with Alfred Fried<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Fried>) of the Nobel Prize for Peace<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_for_Peace> in 1911 for his role in the formation of the Permanent Court of Arbitration<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Court_of_Arbitration> at the first Hague peace conference (1899).

In VIAF, I found that the National Library of the Netherlands established the name as follows:
‡a  Asser, T.M.C.‏ ‎‡q  (Tobias Michel Carel),‏ ‎‡d  1838-1913‏<http://www.viaf.org/processed/NTA%7C069862273>

As the author was Dutch, it seems to me that the form that the National Library of the Netherlands used makes more sense than the Anglicized version that is the current NACO form of the name.

I was thinking that I should edit the NACO record so that the access point is:
Asser, T. M. C. ǂq (Tobias Michel Karel), ǂd 1838-1913

I would also add additional 670 fields from Wikipedia and VIAF to justify the form of the access point.

Do you agree with this approach?

Thanks,

Gene

Eugene Dickerson
Team Leader for Cataloging
Ralph J. Bunche Library
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC
(202) 647-2191 (voice)
[https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ98cbmoBcllgdf0edh13ysYD1UWN40YaHnlGs_yRsSVneVOj4P]No part of any article sent to you by the Bunche Library can be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted without prior written permission of the publisher. The exception is brief quotations.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.