I don’t think the name was Anglicized.  It was more likely a case of orthographic reform or mere whim.

Asser’s Dutch Wikipedia page (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Asser) has a note that translates as “Asser is often called Tobias Mich(a)el Carel and used the initials T.M.C. himself, but the official spelling of his third forename was Karel.”

I’m not convinced the heading has to be changed, but if it were, it might be better to align with the Dutch national library.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger //

Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //

Langdell Hall 194 //

Cambridge, MA 02138

+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)

+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)