Ian,

I don’t quite understand what you’re after either.

There is certainly a theoretical argument for putting the work/expression AAP in a 7xx field, as we always do in RDA when there are two or more works or expressions in the same manifestation.  There’s no reason we couldn’t do that, and in a way it might mean greater consistency of approach.  As of now we just don’t.

But I don’t think I have seen any suggestion that a work AAP and an expression AAP based on that work could, or should, both be included in a bib record for a manifestation containing just that one expression.  Why do you want to do that?

Most importantly, I don’t believe this:

Edwards, Jonathan, $d 1703-1758. $t Works. $k Selections. $f 2013

is an expression of:

Edwards, Jonathan, $d 1703-1758. $t Works. $k Selections

The first is for a particular selection of Edwards’ works that was published in 2013.  If a different selection, containing different works, is published in 2014, it would have the AAP

Edwards, Jonathan, $d 1703-1758. $t Works. $k Selections. $f 2014

But that selection would be a different WORK from the 2013 selection, not a different expression of the same work.  They cannot be the same work if they have different contents—possibly ENTIRELY different contents, with no overlap.

Your suggestion would allow collocation of all “selections” works under the same heading, while also providing separate index entries for the different works, which might be useful.  It straddles the question of whether all “selections” works by the same person should be covered by the same AAP (which seems a polite fiction) or given separate AAPs.  But in any case, if we followed your suggestion, we would not be including a work AAP and an expression AAP in a record—we would be including two different work AAPs for the same work, based on different understandings of how “selections” should be handled.  Fitting that into RDA would require major changes.

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt