I have found that such examples in the MARC documentation are not always well thought-out.  The subfield $2 seems to indicate in some cases “some or all of this field was done in the spirit of RDA”. J

I agree that it would make sense to break up the 344 into two fields.

In the case of 347 $e, if this were really a “code” for regional encoding, it would be sufficient to record “4”.  MARC continues to be more about text than data.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger //

Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //

Langdell Hall 194 //

Cambridge, MA 02138

+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)

+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)