One of our catalogers questioned the qualifier used for the city of Tijuana, Mexico (n  82020615), and I have been unable to find a definitive answer for him, so I'm turning to the collective wisdom of this list.

The heading as it stands now (and has since 1991) is "Tijuana (Baja California, Mexico)."  "Baja California (Mexico)" is the established form for the peninsula, which includes two states, established as "Baja California Sur (Mexico)" and "Baja California (Mexico : State)."  The latter heading includes "State" to differentiate the state (a jurisdiction) from the peninsula (a geographic feature) with the same name.

Why is Tijuana, a city in the *state* of Baja California qualified by the *peninsula*, rather than the state?   Shouldn't it be established as "Tijuana (Baja California, Mexico : State)"?   What are we missing?

Thanks in advance!

Becky Uhl
Science Cataloger/Authority Control Coordinator
Arizona State University Libraries
(480) 965-9802