I have a related question: Is there is any rationale for not including a type of jurisdiction in corporate body qualifiers? Such an explanation would be helpful when explaining to staff members, supervisors and patrons why the cataloging instructions require geographic qualifiers be more ambiguous than the forms of the names in GNIS or U.S. Census data.  For example, there are many local governments in Michigan with the same name except for the type of jurisdiction which is part of the name. In order to disambiguate them, GNIS and Census data include the type of jurisdiction as part of the name, but the PCC-PS’s say to strip it out when using the name as a qualifier.  Consequently, users & staff report errors in the catalog because they know, for example, that a certain cemetery is in St. Joseph Township not the city of St. Joseph (the latter being an adjacent jurisdiction with a separate government). I am at a loss to make a sensible argument as to why the form is Smith Cemetery (St. Joseph, Mich.)  instead of Smith Cemetery (St. Joseph Township, Mich.)

Tim Watters

Special Materials Cataloger

Library of Michigan

702 West Kalamazoo St

P.O. Box 30007

Lansing, MI 48909-7507

Tel: 517-373-3071

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014, Rebecca Uhl wrote:

> One of our catalogers questioned the qualifier used for the city of Tijuana, Mexico (n  82020615), and I have been unable to find a definitive answer for him, so I’m turning to the collective wisdom of this list.

... <snip>