Hi Ian,

“Works. Selections” is a conventional collective preferred title for an
incomplete compilation of works by one creator not in a single form such as
Plays, Poems, etc. In RDA 6.2.2.10.3, this is an alternative to recording
the preferred titles of all the individual works. Under the attached LC-PCC
PS, LC practice is to follow this alternative, but PCC practice is not
specified. When constructing access points for works additions to access
points are made as needed to differentiate, using one of the options under
6.27.1.9. Conventional collective titles are not expressly treated as an
exception here, nor under the associated LC-PCC PS 6.26.1.9. I think your
analogy to expressions holds, but I can’t find an explicit statement of LC
policy/practice such that “Creator. Works. Selections” is not given further
qualification and might represent more than one such aggregate work. Their
training powerpoint on Compilations (updated August 2013) might clarify:
http://www.loc.gov/aba/rda/Refresher_training_dec_2011.html

The Access Points for Expressions task group treated titles and access
points for works (including the above) as out of scope. That said, there
may be particular expressions of such aggregate works, in different
languages, content types, etc., at which point 6.27.3 comes into play by
adding expression-specific elements (as constrained by LC practice or not)
to the access point for the aggregate work (which may or may not contain
its own qualifying elements).

Paul Frank mentioned recently in a message to PCC-List on October 2 that "There
is still a need for the issues and recommendations raised by the PCC Task
Group on Expressions to be formalized and incorporated officially into PCC
documentation. I will raise this issue with the PCC Policy Committee."

In the meantime, whatever LC’s practice is, as I understand it, PCC members
generally have the option to apply access points for works and expressions
when LC would not, and at a greater level of differentiation than LC would
require. Per the DCM-Z1 introduction, NACO members may contribute authority
records for works and expressions “as needed for cataloging” even when LC
would not. BIBCO/CONSER members must support all access points in
PCC-authenticated records with authority records.

Matthew

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library