Can't both 373 and 381 serve to express a qualifying term as a separate element? RDA wants qualifying terms to be expressed as separate elements, not for them to be expressed specifically in a 381.  I agree with Bob--using 373 provides both the separate element and richer semantic categorization, so I'd prefer it in this case.  I'd reserve 381 for terms which don't have a more precise encoding.

Stephen

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
And I would choose 381 with $2, because that is the actual RDA element that is being used as a qualifier.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, Robert Maxwell wrote:

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:21:41 +0000
From: Robert Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Other Distinguishing Characteristics and the 373 field

I favor coding corporate bodies in 373 (“associated group”) because that’s where the machine (and humans) will expect to find corporate bodies recorded—373 is the standardized place to find a related corporate body; 381 is a grab bag where you can expect to find just about anything, which is not helpful if there actually is a standardized field for a particular entity (like corporate body).

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568