From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 5:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] [RDA-L] RE: Subordinate or not: fraternal organization chapters

Patricia,

We also think that Sons of Norway (U.S.). Leif Erikson Lodge No. 1 is the preferred form of the name.  And Kate James pointed to the instruction in RDA at 11.13.1.3 that tells us to add (Seattle, Wash.) to the access point, if a chapter, branch, etc., is recorded as a subdivision of a higher body.  But I'm still not convinced that RDA compels us to record the lodge as a subdivision of the parent body.  If the name were "Lodge No. 1" then I would agree that it "simply indicates a geographic, chronological, or numbered or lettered subdivision of a parent body"
according to 11.2.2.14.3.  But with the words Leif Erikson in front of Lodge No. 1, does it still simply indicate a numbered subdivision?  LCRI
24.9 told us yes, that it does.  But there's no policy statement like it to tell us that it does in RDA.

Adam

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Patricia Sayre-McCoy wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:00:29 +0000
> From: Patricia Sayre-McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
> To: RDA Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>,
>     PCC Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: [RDA-L] RE: Subordinate or not: fraternal organization
> chapters
>
> You realize that this answer is coming late on a Friday afternoon after a very stressful week, and so will excuse any real dumb comments as being from the creature that has temporarily taken over my mind.
>
> I think Sons of Norway (U.S.). Leif Erikson Lodge No. 1 is the correct form.
>
> Sons of Norway (U.S.) is the parent organization and clearly needs a qualifier. Since you say there is no other Leif Erikson Lodge No. 1, there is no conflict if you use only "Leif Erikson Lodge No. 1" as the subordinate unit. As for the number, the examples given for 11.2.2.14.3 includes things like "Class of 1957" where 1957 is too generic to stand alone. I would  make a case that the number  makes "Leif Erikson Lodge No. 1" distinct enough and doesn't need its own geographic qualifier.
> Pat
>
> Patricia Sayre-McCoy
> Head, Law Cataloging and Serials
> D'Angelo Law Library