I don’t know of a rule, but I have a vague memory of seeing this situation discussed pre-RDA.  If you didn’t know the person’s real name, you would have to treat it as an anonymous work, but of course transcribe the statement of responsibility as it appears.  Especially in a card catalog there was a problem of where would you file such a heading if you tried to create one.

The problem with creating an access point consisting of asterisks is: would anybody consider that a name that could be looked up? If so, would they remember how many asterisks?  (Most people don’t do browse searches.)  Would they know if it was asterisks or some other similar characters?  How would the system treat such characters?  Treat them as something to ignore?

As a possible justification for entering under the person’s real name, see RDA 6.27.1.8 (2nd paragraph).

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger //

Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //

Langdell Hall 194 //

Cambridge, MA 02138

+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)

+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)