Well put, Kevin!

I think that you used this example effectively to illustrate how the words really are an integral part of the title proper.  As you pointed out, the context is important, too.

There was a movie in the 1980s called Enemies, a love story.   In this case, “a love story” is an integral part of the title.  The title isn’t just “Enemies”.

It’s a judgment call, but I think the “when in doubt” clause here should be:  When in doubt about whether the words are part of the title proper vs. other title information, consider the words to be part of the title proper.

Enemies, a love story means a lot more to a user than Enemies (1989).

Use what’s there rather than making things more difficult!

Gene

Eugene Dickerson
Team Leader for Cataloging
Ralph J. Bunche Library
U.S. Department of State
Washington, DC
(202) 647-2191 (voice)
No part of any article sent to you by the Bunche Library can be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted without prior written permission of the publisher. The exception is brief quotations.