Returning to a point made earlier in this discussion and in the PCC task group on AAPs for expressions report, bottom of page 5, the crux of the question is whether an AAP of the form

[Name]. $t [Title.] $l English. $s (Translator name)

implicitly authorizes a bib heading in the form

[Name]. $t [Title.] $l English.

If it does, then LC following its rule of practice at LC/PCC-PS 6.27.3 can use the latter form when only the former is established. If not, then LC will have split files, an obligation to create additional generic authorities, and lots of recataloging to do.  For example, see the authorities under Euripides.  All the AAPs beginning "Euripides. $t Alcestis. $l English" now also include a $s subfield naming a specific translator. A browse "title begins" search in LC's catalog for "alcestis english" finds multiple translations, some by the translators named in the authorities, some by other translators, none with a $s.

The acceptance of implicitly authorized AAPs for works has a long history. Cf. the task group report, page 6: "A collective expression record as such may be more analogous to the parent work, in
that it does not need to be established in the authority file but can still collocate along with differentiated expressions, as long as the base title is the same."  What's needed is clarification from LC about whether generic expression AAPs on bib records can be considered implicitly authorized, and consensus that in the case of translations, the same resource can have two forms of authorized access, one generic and one more specified, and that which one to use is a catalog-level decision.

That said, it should also be noted that LC bib records which remove specificity from an expression AAP should not overlay OCLC records with greater specificity for the same expression.

Alternatively, there could be a decision to abandon generic expression AAPs and generate lots more work for everybody (think deck chairs, Titanic ...).

Stephen