From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kevin M Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, October 3, 2014 1:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Popular music collections with performer-based titles

This is an excellent example of the kind of situation where we must really re-educate ourselves on what is a *title proper* and what is *other title information*.

The words "Out there" are not a subtitle, or any other kind of "other title information" (which RDA defines as "Information that appears in conjunction with, and is subordinate to, the title proper of a resource.").  There are an integral part of the title proper.  No one involved with creating/issuing the resource, or the tour from which it arose, would have ever thought of the title being just "Paul McCartney".  (And if they were going to consider calling it by fewer than all four of the words "Paul McCartney Out There", you could very safely bet that the words they'd go with are "Out There".)

Record the title as "Paul McCartney out there" (or "Paul McCartney, out there").  This isn't in any sense just a way to "avoid the need for the 130".  It's not making concessions because of the cataloging rules.  It's simply recording the title proper that is really there!

(P.S.  Also make sure to give variant access to "Out there"...)

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
(847) 491-2939